Saturday, March 24, 2012

Weather

I am back!! Returning to school this week, after spring break, was so tough!! I never got used to the time change because I was enjoying my break...that this past Monday it was like a double whammy waking up!! So that is where I have been...napping everyday after school! Haha..okay, okay, enough whining..

This week we started our weather unit. We started off by reading Cloudy With A Chance. It was a very cute way to get the children thinking about how crazy our weather can be and get the creative juices flowing. They all designed their own town and wrote on the back what would be 'raining' if they have a choice..


Throughout our unit, I tried to focus on a different type of weather every two days..sunny, rainy, cloudy, and windy. On Friday for writing all of the students pretended to be weather reporters and they wrote their own report:

The above activities can be found in my weather unit by clicking on the picture below.
 On Thursday I told the children that we would be meeting a new friend on Friday.  He is my friend Roy G. Biv and he only comes when the sun shines after it rains. They all got excited thinking we were going to have a new student in class.  Then Friday we made these cuties..

I typed up the words for the project and you can download them HERE.
This project is a must! The children LOVED making him. We also got the chance to talk about how colors come in all shades. They loved the fact that they actually had a crayon called indigo! We will be doing another week on weather before we move on to plants; but, I unfortunately won't be enjoying the week with the kids. I have to spend my next week in Common Core Academy!

SaveSave
SaveSave

5 comments:

  1. Such a cute idea! I also loved reading your post when you were the guest blogger, but I couldn't figure out where to leave a comment. Great job!

    Lori
    Teaching With Love and Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello fellow south Florida teacher! This is a really cute project. I am going to do this with my kids this week. Thank you for sharing :-)

    http://modernkindergarten.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a terrific Idea! Thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea!! It will go great with the weather unit we are just starting! Do you have a link that you'd be willing to share your weather report writing paper? Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete